Monday, April 7, 2014

Starting things off

Hey guys!

Like millions of other people in the world, music is one of my passions. Over the years I've learned to play a variety of instruments: guitar, saxophone, and piano being my main instruments, plus others I've added to my collection such as numerous ocarinas and ukuleles.

Inspired by the surge in popularity of banjo-incorporated pop (slash indie folk rock music? who knows what genre) such as Mumford & Sons and the Avett Brothers, over the past few years I've become fascinated by the 5-stringed, raucous, old-timey instrument. I had to have one.

I was ecstatic when I received a banjo for my 17th birthday. Unfortunately, as a junior in high school with a chronic over-scheduling issue (what is sleep?), I've rarely had time to even touch my beloved present.

This, my friends, is where I hope to change things! If you haven't already figured it out by now, my 20-Time project is to learn to be a proficient banjo player. I hope to be good enough by the end of the semester to perform a song for you.

As a passionate lover of good ol' rock n' roll, I found this bluegrass cover of one of my favorite Rolling Stones songs to be especially neat-o, and I think it would be cool to learn. I'm still looking at different songs and various styles of playing, so we'll see.

Thanks for reading; wish me luck! :)

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I hope now you have the time to pursue your passion. I love bluegrass and Mumford and Sons! Can't wait to hear you play! Blog on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it would be super funny if you could play that song that Kermit the frog sings! rainbow connection i think .. its something about rainbows hmm i have the Muppets on my mind ever since I saw the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. I mean, I don't know anyone who plays the banjo. You have a really great talent with music, so I know you will do wonderfully with this!

    ReplyDelete